Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Fantastic Five Dialogue Tag - Maiden of Ice



I was tagged by Hannah Heath, a fabulous writer, engaging blogger, and good friend of mine, to participate in the Fantastic Five Dialog tag, originally created by Nate Philbrick. I haven’t talked about my bigger writing projects yet – mainly because I’m having a hard time rewriting draft after draft and I would hate to leave you all hanging – but the one I’m currently working on is Maiden of Ice, a YA Fantasy I’ve been writing a couple years now. When she’s a bit more presentable – my Maiden is still a bit rough around the edges … or maybe just rough altogether - I’ll be happy to tell you more about her, and maybe one day she’ll be ready to come out into the light. For now, enjoy these five out-of-context snippets of dialogue from the draft I’m currently on:
“A daughter over a son? A courtier over a soldier? This is your choice?” 
“Looks prepared enough, I must say. She’ll need it, too.”
          “Touch anything, and suffer. Hide anything, and it will be drawn out with pain. Try anything, and you may not live to see the sunrise. I expect you to behave.”
All is well here. Use time wisely. Send word often. Your brothers and Conley greet you and wish you success.”
“I think you would be surprised, Gwynara, what I am capable of giving.”
If only internal dialogue was allowed! My Maiden is in deep first person POV, so a lot of my best lines are my MC's thoughts. That makes this both dissatisfying and revealing - I don't feel like I have a good representation of my writing here, and I have a lot less dialogue than I thought. Something to go over in editing, I guess.
Now comes the hard part: tagging other bloggers to participate. I’m still new to the blogging world and have yet to check out a lot of fabulous writers, but here’s a few I follow that I know I’d love to see:
Feel free to participate even if I didn't tag you - I'd love to see your snippets too! And follow these amazing writers, you won't regret it!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Alena! My favorite is the "I expect you to behave" piece. =) I'm so glad you participated!

    ReplyDelete